Use this helpful checklist as a reminder of the things you need to do before you move.
Book the movers. You can have them pack and move everything, or just the breakables, or you can pack everything yourself. Obtain estimates from multiple companies.
If you currently rent give necessary notice to your landlord (A minimum of sixty days). Arrange for the return of any monies you have on deposit. Disconnect your telephone and cable TV, if applicable.
Arrange for gas and electric utilities, telephone, and cable TV to be connected on the day before the sale closes. Your lawyer usually does this.
- Get change-of-address cards from the post office and send them out well before moving day.
- Arrange to have the post office forward your mail to your new address.
- Cancel any contracted services and pre-authorised cheques pertaining to the previous home.
- Inform those who provide home services to you about your move - gardening, dry cleaning, garbage pickup, newspaper and magazine delivery, diaper, any other services.
- Obtain a letter of introduction from your current bank branch to help you establish new accounts at your new branch if moving branches.
- Transfer trust or bank accounts and securities.
- Cancel or transfer social, athletic, civic, religious, or business affiliations and memberships, if applicable.
- Arrange for the adjustment of any medical, dental, prescription, and optical records as necessary.
- Change the address on your driver’s licence(s), effective the day of your move.
- Collect all items sent out for cleaning, repair, or storage - fur coats, dry cleaning, any appliances.
- Make any special arrangements necessary for moving perishables, such as plants.
- Arrange for moving your pets.
- Dispose safely of all flammable liquids, firearms or other materials. (Movers are prohibited by law from handling them.)
Moving Tips for Sellers